Wednesday 31 October 2012

I'm back from London!!!

Well, what a weekend I have just had & I think I'm still recovering!

On Friday 26th October I made my way down to London to attend the Islington Contemporary Art & Design Fair at the Candid Arts Trust. It came about after being invited to apply after I attended New Designers in June with my college. It took a little while after graduating to get back into making again, but this was the boost I needed to get back into the workshop.

 
I am very slowly getting my workshop up together (I will post some photos once I have organised everything & it looks mildly presentable), but I don't have the larger pieces of equipment just yet.

 
 So I am very lucky to have access to a shared workshop at the Courtyard in Hereford and this is because I am part of the Hereford Alloy Jewellers Group.
 
Alloy is a non-profit organisation which helps the promotion of jewellers and silversmiths at any stage of their careers.
 
Check out our facebook page or visit the website  to browse through the work of other members.

 
 My wire work in progress...
 
 
All cleaned up after being in the pickle!


All my new silver pieces and the stands near completion,
just need to do the final finish... 

 
Having access to the Hereford College of Arts workshop was a real help towards finishing my collection. As a recent graduate, I can use the workshop and the library, so I can feel like a student again! They have set up a Associate Membership Scheme which is open to anyone who has completed a fully accredited course at the college. A General Membership Scheme is available too for those just interested in the Arts! Email: shortcourses@hca.ac.uk for more info!
 
The best part about visiting the college is seeing the Tech Dem's again and friends still studying!
 
 
Back to the Fair...
 
I was a bag of nerves on the train, but once I arrived & I was taken to my stand I felt quite excited!
 
 

Carrying this cabinet on the underground was eventful....
But seeing it installed with my work displayed made it all worth while.
 

 
 
 
 
Final display with my Artist statement.
 
 
The whole weekend was quite tiring, but enjoyable! We were certainly well looked after, I don't think I have drank so much tea, coffee and cava in my life! I also had some lovely chats with other exhibitors during quiet periods. I also gained some invaluable advice from two lovely makers, both having only graduated last year. They work in ceramics and both had a wonderful collection and display.
 
Please have a look at their sites:
 
 
 
One evening I found the Crafts Council building on my mission to find food!

 ...and found some incredible food at Jamie's Italian!

 
I tackled Jamie's Feast.... and conquered...just!
 
 
All in all a good experience for me which has helped to get my motivation back, as well as meeting some wonderful people!
 A special Thank-you to Kirsty for all her help on the underground!!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment